Monday, January 16, 2006

An Unusual Craft


gourd2.JPG
Originally uploaded by Fieldlearning.
At last year's farm show I was intrigued by the PA Gourd Society's booth, but only picked up a paper announcing an upcoming show. This year we spent a little time talking with a gourd enthusiast. (I made that name up, I don't know what they call themselves.)

She showed us many different gourds including a rainstick made with a snake gourd and this lovely South American gourd. It is small, about 4 inches in diameter, and all across the surfaces designs are scratched depicting life in the village. Part of what I enjoy about craft is learning what it reflects about the culture from which it comes. I hope my children are beginning to appreciate that as well.

Filed under:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home