Saturday, October 08, 2005

Feynman unit study, maybe?

Do you think unit studies are only for elementary age children? Well, here's one to challenge you that I just came up with. A unit study on Nobel Prize winning Physicist Richard Feynman.

My first introduction to Feynman was through a book called "Tuva or Bust" written by Ralph Leighton. It tells of the story of Feynman and Leighton's attempt to visit Tuva. Leighton's depiction of Feynman was intriquing. The man was obviously brilliant, but more importantly interested in everything and full of great questions. I don't share his worldview as a scientific rationalist, but I think his wonder and interest in Creation (he would say Nature) is admirable and worth imitation.

Without giving you an entire biography on Feynman let me point out some of the possible topics you could explore, all related to him:
I'll leave you with this quote from Feynmann, from his lecture to science teachers:
You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.
~Richard Feynman




Filed under:

1 Comments:

  • At 8:05 PM, Blogger Kathy said…

    Thanks, Sara. He is facinating. Between him and Benjamin Franklin, I think one could have a pretty well rounded curriculum! Maybe I'll do a post on Ben, next.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home