Friday, December 01, 2006

How to be your own music teacher

I had great intentions of teaching my kids how to read music, of singing, playing recorder, maybe then guitar or piano. I would go at it in fits and starts, but then they feel in love with dance. First one with ballet, then all three with Highland. Music is a part of dance, I figured. They sing at home and church and we can't do everything, can we? They can always start lessons when they are a little older. It was with a little resignation that I finally came to terms with the fact that although I desire my kids to learn to play an instrument, I really can't find the time right now.

Enter Erin the eleven year old who, with no great announcement or proclamation of her intentions, has for the last 5 days been teaching herself to play recorder. No prompting by me, just a curious girl who noticed a recorder and the music and decided to do something about it herself. Not sure how long this will last or exactly what to do about it if anything, but I am enjoying it! If she does keep it up we may have a pretty decent rendition of a carol by Christmas.
Filed under:

2 Comments:

  • At 4:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Kathy! I enjoyed your recent post...I too have aspirations of teaching my kiddos how to read music, sing, etc., and I was encouraged to read that even if I don't have the time or energy to do so in the way I want, if they have the desire, they just may try it on their own. Go Erin!!! Also, wanted to let you know just how much Maddie enjoys her Sunday visits with Sadie...she came up and talked to her again today and Maddie just giggles and smiles! xoxo

     
  • At 10:08 AM, Blogger Kathy said…

    Thanks for your comment Kelly,
    She's been going strong all weekend and has O Come, O Come Emmanuel down even with a syncopated version. She's asking all kinds of good questions about how music notation works.

    Sadie is my little social butterfly. I love how quickly she's adjusted to our new church. She's quite in her element after church with all her little girlfriends. I'll have to encourage her about her friendliness to Maddie. I am happy to hear that.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home